Saturday, January 22, 2011

Life Lesson #438: don't skimp on haircuts

So I took a risk today... A big risk! I decided to forego my regular salon, save a couple bucks, and get in quick for a haircut. What can be so tough about cutting my hair when it's midway down my back, right? Shoot, it's even curly, so if it's not straight when I leave, so be it... So I walked into Capri College, a cosmetology school here....

Holy crap! I completely walked into a downward spiral!

First, my appointment was at 3:30, and no one said a word to me for the first 15 minutes. I actually had my keys in my hand, ready to walk out, when they called my name. The girl looked like a troll! Her hair was all kinds of uneven, her face was all scrunched up, her glasses barely hung onto the edge of her nose, and she walked like oompa-loompa.

Can you imagine the thoughts running through my head?

So she asks me what I wanted done, and it was all I could do not to just apologize and walk out. But, I refrained, and explained a trim would be appreciated. She hands me a contract basically stating that if she screws up my hair, she's not responsible. The chick then gets her teacher who comes and asks if its ok to cut my hair dry because they didnt have much time. Seriously? One can't even get a comb through my dry, nappy hair, let alone be able to cut it dry with any accuracy!

She must have read my non-verbals at this point... Hell, I could have still been looking at the student cross-eyed, wondering if I was really going to put myself through this. During the shampoo she poked me in the eye, pulled my earring out, drapped her broken apron across my face (twice), and leaned her nasty, troll-smelling, armpit BO across my body. For a while she couldn't find the shampoo/conditioner she wanted, so I was stuck without neck support longer than necessary.

The teacher started the cut (to save time) and concluded that I must swim 3 times a week because of the build-up in my hair. Thanks crazy-lady, but I haven't been in a pool since last August! It's just called coarse hair and I deal with it everyday.

After the student made a couple snips off the back, she actually looked at the instructor and said, "what should I do with the sides?" She finally finished, and started taking my cape off, but my hair was still fricking drenched! Mind you, its the coldest day of the year and windchills are about -15 today, but whatever... I paid for my $10 haircut and ran out.

Going forward, I am happy to pay $40 for an hour of relaxation, normal conversation, and worry-free style. Oh. My. God.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder its ok to spend $150 to feel good about a haircut and product! Yes I'm the sucker that buys all the products they suggest every time! Just thinking I should try to help the family save $$ to go to the mall but this is a reminder its ok to go to my gal! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog post deserves an OMG!! I was laughing so hard, I woke Henley up (whoops). I felt like I was at the salon with you, starring down that winch! I'm with you, I hate paying $40 for a hair cut, but I refuse to sway for this exact reason! Lesson learned, the difference was very clear!!

    ReplyDelete