Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Here's the scoop, sis....

Growing up, I loved when you got into trouble. I would listen in as our parents spoke to you. I wanted to be sure they kept you safe, that they taught you right vs. wrong. It was important that they cared for you as much as I did, if not more.

I hated when you wore my clothes or hung with my friends. I didn't like that you dug in my closet, because it was private, and I didn't care whether or not you asked permission. The fact was that I never wanted to be at fault for leading you astray.

I sometimes heard you cry in your room, but didn't always run to soothe you. You were my baby sis, and I never wanted to see you hurt... I wanted you to grow tough.

I didn't care if the truth hurt you. I would say it as it was. Not to disrespect you, but to help you realize how tough life can be. I never tried to be the bad person, but I wanted you to see a different perspective.


I've been scared for you. I've worried so badly about you that I've sold you out. I've made you believe that I didn't love you, didn't support you, or didn't care. It wasn't true. I sold you out because I wanted something better for you.

I have lied to you. Again, there was no disrespect in it. I just saw you happy and there was no hurt in letting you embrace it. With time, you, too, will see that it was okay for those feelings to change. Living life is the best self-teaching mechanism. I hope you soon see what you deserve.

I realized how much I missed you after I left you. I learned that when I went off to college, when I moved to a different state, and more than ever when I moved back home. My best days have been hanging with you. And now I feel the strength of that love even more by being around the world.

I envied you when you became a mother. The shift was natural for you and it made you the happiest I've ever seen you. You embrace parenting challenges, truly believe in the blessing set in front of you, and never let the girls go to bed at night without knowing they were given 100% of your love and devotion.

I don't believe you are as strong as everyone thinks. You wear your smile in public, as you cry yourself to sleep at night. But no one ever said you had to be strong. You do need to believe that you're beautiful, important, smart, and talented. And you do need to be a loving mother. Other than that, you just need to wake up every morning praising God for today.

Finally, from deep in my heart, I want you to know that I will always hold and treat your children as my own, in good and bad. Not to out-do you, but because I love them like I love you... more than you'll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment