Thursday, August 28, 2014

Learning the Perks

Remember the jokes that started with: "how many blondes does it take to...." Well, I feel as though I'm cracking a new line of riddles here in Shanghai. They should start with: "In China, how many American's does it take to...." and then fill in the blank with...
- purchase a phone
- get to the market
- turn the channel on the TV
- find bedding
- replace a light bulb
and on, and on, and on...

Many people told me we should go on the show House Hunters International, but I think a better one for me is Candid Camera. I feel like an idiot here!!!

Wednesday I attended a new parent coffee meeting at the kids' school. Talk about informative!

Who knew that you should not buy meat at the market we've been visiting? Or that all vegetables and fruits needed to be scrubbed with a pesticide spray, not just run under filtered water? Or that at the market there are Chinese prices and Western prices -- I'll let you guess which is more. Or that spending 3 hours or more grocery shopping is totally the norm?

Who knew that you employ a driver, not only for a personal taxi, but to pay your bills, fix your shoes, repair the Wii that we blew up when we first plugged it in, take care of dry cleaning, or have furniture made by his local friends for way cheap? Or that your Ayi is the one who can wait at the house all day for a grocery (or phone) delivery, while you enjoy the city?

I need to come to grips with this culture!!

In the meantime, we've called the engineer to replace lightbulbs. [Shut up. I know it sounds ridiculous!] I've ordered a phone on Amazon for Cash on Delivery, and waited for like 5 complete days for it to arrive because my address wasn't entered in Chinese. I've wandered pharmacies for a whole morning looking for medicine for my sick children, when my Ayi completed the task in the blink of an eye and then handed me the receipt for reimbursement.

Well, I got this now!

From here out, I'm attending classes, going on tours, and meeting up with friends... because let me tell you, when diapers and dinner can be delivered to your door on the same day, for free, why wouldn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment