Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Our First Day of School

Now that I have VPN, I've been scrolling through social media and seeing everyone's adorable chalkboard signs on the first day of school. Beautiful, colorful bubble letters explaining the grade, the child's admirations, and of course what they want to be when they grow up.

Us, here in Shanghai... we don't quite roll like that. (Not to discount the big shout out deserved by all the kick ass mom's who have their stuff together.)

Wednesday marked our first day of school for the kiddos. Oh, the many "first" experiences that we have coming! Beginning at an international school, meeting their teachers from England and South Africa -- how fascinating is that!?!?, wearing uniforms, and boarding a small charter bus to transport them. The kids were overwhelmed with excitement!

 
They tucked in early Tuesday evening, and I wished I would have gone to bed with them. I dilly-dallied around on this computer (because HELLO!! that's when all my American friends are active!) and finally settled in around 11:30. Jarin was still traveling, and then the remainder of my night went as such:

1 a.m. Paisley awakes. I try to get her back down, but good luck. 
1:34 a.m. I'm putting her to bed, and don't care how long she "cries-it-out."
1:37 a.m. I can't handle it anymore. I go get her and bring her to my bed.
1:55 a.m. She is so restless, and has been crawling all over my head. BTW, Alayna had asked to sleep with me since Jarin was out of town, so now I'm afraid she is going to be waken too.
2:10 a.m. P drinks a full glass of water, lets out two huge, manly farts, and says "yeah" when I ask if she's ready for bed.
2:22 a.m. She is still crying
2:24 a.m. I get back up and we take in the view from the living room... and also spy a little into all the other windows with lights on.
2:30 a.m. I take her back to my room. Bad idea. She now has Alayna up, giving her kisses.
2:47 a.m. We go to Paisley's room, I rock her and rub her back until she breaks down and falls asleep.
3:03 a.m. Finally. My turn to sleep.
3:34 a.m. Alayna awakes to tell me her tummy hurts. I sit in the bathroom with her while she explodes.

Oh my God, I can't handle the smell.

3:45 a.m. She is ready to go back to bed, but not sure if she might puke. I go get a bowl to keep next to her in bed. Oh yeah, we don't have any bowls. So I bring the largest soup kettle I can find and place it on her pillow.
4:34 a.m. I wake to hear her vomitting beside me.

Okay. Now this is the worst smell ever.

5:07 a.m. The rally is finally over and I clean everything up and try to go back to bed, knowing that my alarm is set for less than 40 min from now.
6:20 a.m. I finally roll out of bed and get Cade up for school. I inform him that Alayna has been sick and won't be going to school. He breaks down because he doesn't want to ride the bus alone.
6:32 a.m. We check on Alayna. She is fine and cheery! She puts on her uniform, takes a swig from her water bottle and pukes everywhere.

Great.

Of course, P is still sleeping because she partied last night. Aly is puking, Cade still needs breakfast and walked down to the bus stop in less than 20 min. But he's upset. This is when super-mom-powers kick in and before long, I have this handsome boy all ready to board his bus... in the rain!


Sidenote: I'm sitting here typing this blog entry and I just heard an awful-vomit-like sound. I jumped from the office to uncover which child is spewing all over this time. After seeing three peaceful babies asleep in their beds, I realize that the bacon was ready to be collected on Cade's Hay Day game.
 
Seriously, this is my life.

So, we begin with Day 2, which is really Day 1 for Alayna.

Jarin is home now, but we are all exhausted from travel and being up all night. We sleep through the alarm, and wake 6 minutes before the bus is departing. Frantically, Jarin gets the kids dressed, I call the bus monitor, we meet at the second stop, and the kids get yelled at for being late. They now think that "Chinese people get mad easily."

I truly can't imagine trying to get a photo with the kids posed next to their personalized chalkboard sign. Shoot. I just want a photo of them going to school together!

And so, we pretend... even though it's the start of day 5... how cute are these 1st and 3rd graders?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment