Thursday, November 13, 2014

Welcome to the World, Kingsley!

Different time zones is one thing. 13 hours apart is torture!

As a matter of fact, the moment she texted me saying she was on her way to the hospital, I was a nervous wreck. My hands were tied. I couldn't drive there, I couldn't wait outside the room, I couldn't get giddy with the rest of the family, I couldn't feel the excitement among the hospital, I couldn't pace the halls, I couldn't check on her or give her a kiss, or ensure that she was okay. I was relying on crappy internet signals for the news. And when she didn't respond fast enough, I was texting my mom.

My baby sister was in labor, blessing our family with another child, and I wasn't there. I remember getting out of the shower that morning, and just crying because I wanted nothing more than to get on that plane. I locked myself in the bathroom, letting the tears fall. I knew I couldn't change it, so I had to buck up. After many updates, I finally received that message telling me it'd be the last text for a while because the contractions were getting stronger. Oh, the anticipation! My adrenaline was pumping!
Finally, a WeChat picture of a beautiful face popped up on my phone. Megan was telling me to guess whether it was a boy or girl. At this moment, I was in the middle of SAM's Club with a friend, attempting to purchase membership-only access to imported, bulk goods. We had to have looked ridiculous! Both of us started jumping up and down and hugging! Bless her heart. Maria stood with me as we forgot all about the shopping. We Skype'd Meg and both screamed "congratulations" into the phone.


She'd never met my sister. Shoot, she has only known me for two months. But as expats, it was all we knew to support each other as life-long friends would. She was pleading into the phone for the gender reveal, and I was still jumping up and down with a smile that couldn't be knocked off my face. I remember Moogs asking, "do you want me to tell you what it is?" Maria and I both yelled "YES!" as if we were we supposed to find out another way!? The seconds felt like minutes before she revealed that I had another niece!

Miss Hayden became a big sister to Kingsley Rose on October 16, 2014. Such a gorgeous babe, she is. This is a look at my first time "holding" her and she even opened her eyes for me! I cannot wait to actually get my hands on her and be forever changed by her presence... although Alayna is calling dibs!

No comments:

Post a Comment