Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Living our Passion

One thing holds true here in China... life is a journey that is unpredictable and often unplanned. Our journey changes frequently, and we've learned to become very adaptable to each day being different from the days past.

And, so we started another new journey recently. A journey that was pretty much a fairy tale just two years ago. At that time, I had recently quit my job, we were planning to move to China, and I knew that I'd need to find something to continue embarking on my non-profit, charity heart. I dreamt that we'd settle in Shanghai, and I'd devote my time to orphaned children waiting for an ounce of attention, love, and touch.


But it didn't happen that way. I got here, spent the first months learning how to grocery shop and care for my own children. How on God's great earth would I ever find time for another child who wasn't mine? Once I grasped the fundamentals of being a mom again, I found myself discovering small duties at school to keep me occupied. Room parent duties, math helper, classroom reader, party planner... Soon I joined the bigger picture and was involved in the Parent Support Organization, held a role on the board of the American Football League, and even began chairing the school's annual Gala and Auction. 

And then, out of left field, my husband comes home one day in November 2015 and says, "we have an opportunity." In celebration of the company's 90th anniversary, his office was providing an amazing, life-changing, unique chance for employee's to pursue their passion. With only 9 people chosen across America, we had to write an exemplary application essay and be dedicated to a plan worth pursuing. We looked at each other and I waited for him to carry on about some grandiose plan to change the world.... but instead, he told me he wanted to foster. 

FOSTER?

It was paralyzing to hear it. This was something that I'd been wanting to do, praying about. But never did I think it'd come to fruition. I didn't truly believe it was on his bucket list. And how would we fit another child into this home, into our family, into our daily life? 

I started researching the statistics around orphaned kids in China, and was appalled. While 61 million children are left behind without parental contact, 6 million are orphaned, and about 2 million are abandoned and left to die - no care for shelter, nourishment, or healthcare. I tucked my three babies in bed that night, and kissed them extra softly, just to let them know how much I cared.

Photo courtesy of Baobei Foundation
In the meantime, a friend of mine was acting as a healing home for a baby undergoing surgery in Shanghai. Her kids had fallen in love with the little guy; but it was her husband who surprised her the most. I spent time talking with her about the richness this little baby with hydrocephalus had brought to their family and I knew the life-changing impact it had made on each of them - especially after my children heard their stories at school and started coming home asking for a Chinese baby. 

The application was due in just a few short hours when I began to write it. Jarin was traveling that night, and I remember calling him and asking him to stay up until I finished writing so that we could submit before deadline. Within minutes he shared the confirmation email with me; our application was received by the company. Ugh. In the pit of my stomach, I couldn't believe that we had just announced our passion to foster a Chinese orphan. My emotions were overwhelming and my heart raced!


Fast forward 6 weeks, and I get the text from Jarin that we'd been chosen by RSM! One of nine in the country, with nearly 300 submissions! They awarded us $10,000, 9 days off work, and one year to do what we put into writing. I was dumb-founded. Frozen with my feet in the ground. Not knowing what to do, or where to go, my heart just sunk. I didn't know what was to come.

With faith, prayer, devotion, support and love, I made time to talk with Baobei Foundation and visit Baby's Home. I spent nearly two hours holding these precious hands and rubbing sweet backs of babies yearning for a home. I came home that night with a new baby crib, determined that we were ready to do this.

Two days later, our family went to visit. Wow. An incredible experience for our children. They watched children with brain stabilizers and half body casts smile at them as they walked in. They sat on small, three-legged step stools inside bedrooms half the size of their own, each housing 5 babies and an "ayi", or caretaker. They asked questions about each child, their age, their disability, what medical attention was needed, and an explanation of the surgeries they'd had. And then they'd look up at Jarin and I and say, "can we take this little baby home today?"



It's fair to say that we have fallen in love with the orphaned children of China, and our family would truly be blessed with any of these sweet babies in our lives. It's true that a new journey lies ahead, and the coming days and weeks are going to be emotional, to say the least. We are doing what we always dreamt about, but never imagined happening! Please keep our family in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment