Monday, February 8, 2016

Xin Nian Kuai Le!!

Happy Chinese New Year! Which means a lot of red, many fireworks, and an abundance of celebration around Shanghai. This festival allows the Chinese to start fresh with new fortune and wealth. They clean away all the bad, by literally floor sweeping homes, and thus allowing good luck to be brought in. Following the lunar calendar, each year is represented by a different zodiac sign; and 2016 is the year of the monkey! I'm a monkey child too, meaning I'm smart, witty, and confident, but stubborn. Hmmm, I am sure some of that might be true!

As part of the festival celebration, Paisley's preschool put together a program parade at a local hotel. She was a little timid walking the red carpet with the many attendees watching over her, but as soon as she found her sweet little friend, it was all smiles!





I also had the opportunity to help in the classrooms for both Cade and Layna's parties... we taught paper cutting, and built our own monkey lanterns, the kids indulged in spring rolls and dumplings, and they happily sang songs together. Of course all the kiddos left for holiday with hongbaos
in hand!



Then I had to drop off our sweet Liam for the week at Baby Home, where he would stay while we left the country. He arrived in his Western garb, but it didn't take long before they had him changed to his festival-appropriate costume! The ayi's were happy to have him back in their hands for a few days, but I was sad to say good-bye.


Now we are off to celebrate the week in Boracay, Philippines. There will be no floor sweeping for me... just a little rest and relaxation with my favorite people. I cannot wait for family time without interruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment