Saturday, February 19, 2011

And that's what family is about...

I grew up in a very close-knit family. As kids, we shared everything between us... food, clothes, space. Now as adults, we are intimate with new things like traditions, dreams, secrets, and advice. Our extended families never have received the same amount of attention. While we've always cherished the moments spent with cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents, we grew up in families that were too big for "just-because" get-togethers. My mother had five siblings and my dad had seven; our gatherings were reserved for the holidays.

Unfortunately, that created some issues as a child. I never felt a special bond or connection to one cousin or another. I never favored one aunt or grandma over another. We were all just family, in my eyes. And then I married and moved to Minneapolis. I became the only one to not live within 30 miles of Cedar Rapids. We sure tried to come back as much as possible to visit, but our connections with our extended family solely relied on holiday traditions.

Then maturity set in a bit more, and I hit my aha! moment. Jarin and I began having children and we grasped the true value in being closer to our whole family. It was a battle, as one friend recently explained to me, between living up the life you have to live, or realizing that being close to your family is what it's all about. So we relocated again.

In recent years other changes have taken place. I've lost two of my last three living grandparents, and holiday traditions have become focused on the attempts to continue their traditions. I must say, that the Skala side has done a facinating job, thanks to the effort of my amazing aunts. Some day I hope to express my true appreciation to them for building this definition of family.

Without Grandma Pat around though, mom's side has created plenty of excuses for eliminating a Christmas celebration in the past two years. But, we put an end to that this year and had, for the first time, a "just-because" get-together with loads of food, family and fun. It was an amazing time, and proved to us all that 1.) holidays aren't the only reason to connect and that 2.) we really do need each other. After all, we are one big family. Enjoy the pictures!
Sweet Henley (cold and all) kept us all entertained!
AJ and Cade were pals for the day!
Everyone hanging out and enjoying the company.
Alayna was the big girl for the day!
The "kids" before saying good-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment