Friday, March 4, 2011

Cherish the Days

Each semester, I sit on a panel in a Women and Aging course at St. Ambrose for psychology and women's studies students, to share stories about pregnancy, childbirth and labor experiences. It's always such neat recollection of the magical moments that brought Caden and Alayna into this world.

This panel reminds me that everything I once hated... maternity clothes, Taco Bell cravings, varicose veins, and the slight nausea, turns into such minimal issues after you watch your child take their first breath, mimic their first word, attempt their first step, or run off to their first day of school. It also reminds me though, of the fantastically funny moments that I shared with my husband... peeing my pants in Target, my water breaking in bed, asking why I needed to call a crotch doctor for my eye problem when I got tunnel vision, the manual breast pump experiences, and the poop-shooting of our first born.

In the end, my goal of participating in the panel was to instill in these students (and any others interested in childbearing) that no matter how awful the experience sounds, there is nothing more beautiful than pregnancy and child-birth; it's truly one of the most amazing and miraculous events in human nature. One of my co-panelists left the group of students with a statement that I thought was very thought provoking:

"Just when you think the days are so long, the years are so short." 
  • Ten years ago, I was studying hard, partying often, and spending free-spirited time with my crush.
  • Nine years ago, I was graduating from college and trying to plan a successful future.
  • Eight years ago, I took a leap of faith and moved to Minneapolis with my boyfriend.
  • Seven years ago, I married the most supportive friend in my world, and the only one who can truly give me a reality check.
  • Six years ago, I was blessed with the conception of my first child.
  • Five years ago, I was praying to God that our six-week-premature son would be okay.
  • Four years ago, I gave up the idea of living in the big city, and decided I'd rather be closer to family.
  • Three years ago, a princess entered my life, and I have loved watching myself within her.
  • Two years ago, I watched a really special interaction develop between my two babies.
  • One year ago, my oldest started preschool and fell in love with learning.
  • One month ago, I reprimanded my daughter for talking back.
  • Last week, I screamed at my children for screaming at each other.
  • This week, I had a very intimate and loving conversation with my husband which brought us full circle.
  • Yesterday, I laughed with my son for giggling about boogers.
  • Today, I'm thankful for my moments with those I love.
  • Tomorrow, I'll be looking back and hoping I did it all the right way.

2 comments:

  1. Kristi
    I try and check in on you and your sweet family as much as I can. I wish I could see them more, so this is my way of staying connected. I thank you for this blog.... But today I cried, real tears, you always seem to move me with your words. Everything you say I seem to have felt at one time or another. I love how you can express so deeply. Thank you for sharing and allowing me to laugh and cry with you
    lots of love
    Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi I feel the same way Aunt Lori does! I always have a tissue and make sure I am ready to laugh! This blog is GREAT and I love reading it! You are an amazing mother and woman! I am so blessed you are in my life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete