Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lenten Vows

It's that time of year where we all think of something extremely daring and brave to "give up" or "consume less of". It's a challenge for me every year, just like a New Year's Resolution is. What should I identify as my biggest weakness? What do I do that is unhealthy for me? What are my personal goals in the next year? What could I do better at? In the past I've given up hitting the snooze button, exercising more, removing soda from my diet, being negative, and all other traditional ideas. This year, I hear the fad is to give up social networking... (wow, how times have changed!)

I decided to go with something very therapuetic to me... SHOPPING!

I quickly learned though, that doesn't mean grocery shopping, necessity shopping, or birthday shopping. But, instead I'm eliminating the days where I waste time browsing shelves, looking for something to splurge money on. My kids' closets are stocked and so is mine. My home isn't missing any necessary vase or wall art. My husband loves me with what I already own. Toys are overflowing our rooms, as it is. You wouldn't believe how this commitment has already made me realize two things: 1.) there is no reason to buy it, even if it is on sale, and 2.) I get a lot of coupons via email and text messaging! Now, I just hit delete when the notification arrives in my inbox.

And yet, there is another way to contribute to Lenten traditions... by "giving back". If you haven't made your vow yet, I have an idea for you. I won't encourage you to quit shopping, quit tweeting, or start exercising. Instead, consider donating to a great cause.

My three cousins lost their mother in 2008. She was only 48, and had fought the MS battle for 20 years. She was a fighter! And now, those girls formed a team in her honor: Felicia's Fighters. I'm walking with them, and hoping to raise some money for their cause. I encourage you to help me out. All you have to do is click on the banner below and find even $5.00 in your pocket to contribute.


I thank you in advance. Truly.

2 comments: