Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Living Invincible?

Recently a blog came across my Facebook news feed that left me reading in tears. I don't know this young mother, but her name is Melanie and she is 28 years old, fighting a terminal lung disease with a husband and two babies at home. She writes:
"I can’t wait to go outside and play tag with the boys. I want to go swimming, and walk with them and go to the park. I want the boys to call my name to show me something, and for me to have the strength to get up and go see what they want to show me. I want to go out to eat as a family and go to family fun places. I want to be able to watch Jayden play t-ball. I want to be able to clean my house and put my own children to sleep at night. I want to go to a holiday dinner and be able to do the dishes. Just the simple things. I just can’t wait to be Melanie again. And I know I say this all the time, but when my life is saved, I will never EVER let a single breath go for granted ever. Never, ever, ever. And if you are reading this blog, please count your many blessings. Every day is a gift. I wish I had counted my blessings before. I hope that everyone can use my experience to help you appreciate your many blessings."
I am that person that believes I'm invincible (to a degree) and that nothing like this terrible disease, or any other horrific tragedy, will happen to me. I've had everything fall into place to become the perfect dream that I imagined growing into as a little girl. I had (and have) amazing parents, received two degrees, married early to an incredible man that I love more and more everyday, have two beautiful children who are healthy and smart, live in a beautiful home and don't have to worry each day about money and survival. But this blog entry made me think. What if ... this was me? What if .... I couldn't enjoy those fun-loving moments with my children, husband, and family? What if ... I wasn't able to fill my obligation as a mother?

And so, I made a candid promise to myself last Friday after reading this, to spend my days truly appreciating it all -- doing the dishes, taking showers, cleaning my house (even though it was for another worthless open house, *sigh*), watching the kids' smiles, hearing their giggles and tantrums, playing catch even when I can honestly say I am not good, putting up with Toys R Us stops that last hours longer than they should, and finding a place for the little girl to pee at t-ball practice. My weekend wasn't about throwing demands at my kids, or yelling at my husband (okay, maybe once... sorry Jar).

Our Memorial Day weekend was livable and lovable, and consisted of no scheduled events. It left time for living on a whim and being with each other. Caden learned to ride a bike without training wheels, within just a couple hours. He was so proud! (Uncle Blake, he's ready for his first real bike!!) Meanwhile, Layne learned to ride no-handed!

Alayna also fulfilled the role of being the beauty queen that she is....

 And the best part was that her daddy rushed home after work to help in making her so pretty. Can we say Awesome Father Award?

Caden also graduated from preschool this week, and everyone drove through tornado-like storms to be there when daddy couldn't.

I guess it's really about those little moment in life. From the smallest things that make you smile to the milestones you'll never forget. Each moment is a gift from God, and I know how blessed I am.

Don't live your life as though you're invincible because you never know. To Melanie, and the many others in the world fighting for your life, you are an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment