Wednesday, June 22, 2016

My People

Two years ago, we left Cedar Rapids, Iowa for this journey around the world. I recall bawling my eyes out, wondering why in God's name we would ever choose this path. I was saying good-bye to my family, my best friends, a career I loved, and a neighborhood that fit us all too well. I felt like my world was coming to a halt and I had no control... yet we were choosing this for ourselves.

After just 6 months, we watched the first wave of friends leave, but we were continuing to explore this life that I never knew existed, watching our children blossom more than ever possible if we remained in our hometown, and routinely traveling the world and visiting "home". I've now grown accustomed to our life in China. We have adapted to not being available for every family event, catching up through video calls with crappy internet signals, and appreciating what our home country has to offer. We've learned to love the people within our four walls stronger, and we've become patient with the differences among cultures. We've toured and learned ... truly learned ... the whys and hows that people were raised and what they believe.

But more than anything, we've also made life long friends here... people who have changed our views, our world; people who understand us and the life we've chosen; people who appreciate the things we do, miss the things we miss, and make the same decisions we make. These people have become our families here. They've shared in our tears and laughter, helped blow out birthday candles, enjoyed late night playdates, and provided dinner company when husbands often travel. These were my people when we chose to foster, when we went through the trials and tribulations of exploring adoption, and then when we decided against it. Our 13 children have connected like siblings, and us five mamas have leaned on each other like sisters. 

The bonds that you make with people overseas is not like anything else. We have no one else except each other. 

And with those deep connections, comes the time that we say good-bye. Because living overseas is temporary, in some form, for everyone. And when we leave here, sometimes we don't know the next stop. Sometimes we don't know if we'll see you again. Sometimes, we just don't want these days to come.

So here we are, saying good-bye in a way that was much harder than two years ago when we left the states. Because back then, we knew you'd come visit us, and we knew we'd return every 6 months to see you. But here and now, it's different. I can't promise my child that they'll be reconnected with their best friend in any other way beyond the internet. And that sucks.

Repatriation sucks. 

These people have changed our world here. China wouldn't be what it was without each of their smiling souls, their hard-working husbands, or their beautiful children. I will forever hold a special place in my heart to cherish my Shanghai Family.

And to so many of my other friends, colleagues, acquaintances, and people who have made Shanghai, JinQiao, and Concordia so wonderful for us, thank you! I know that it will hit me when you aren't helping as my co-room parent next year, or not cheering at the baseball stands with me. It will be then, that I recognize how much of an impact you had on me as well. To all those who are taking the journey back state-side this summer, best of luck and cheers!

Here's to one more Shanghai year for the Hansen's.

No comments:

Post a Comment