Monday, September 19, 2016

Shang-high Days

Being an expat, you often hear about the highs and lows of living abroad, as if we are all on a never ending, unexpected roller coaster. Some days run you ragged and you can barely keep your head above waters, wondering how to survive in a community where you cannot communicate, being forced through four different grocery stops just to prepare one nights dinner, or having to find alternate transportation from a personal vehicle because someone else in the family needs the van, the driver has the day off, or frankly - it's just easier.

In the last 2.5 years here, the highs, for me, have never really been highs. Yes, I've loved living here, experiencing all there is to see and do on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong... I'm more than appreciative for this opportunity. But to really feel a "high" off of this lifestyle - to truly feel it's better than home - it just doesn't happen frequently.

But today was truly a Shang-high day. Just when something started to go in the ass-backwards-typical-China-fashion, I was pleasantly surprised with the culture and freedom that we have here....

To start, I've been on the hunt for a crib for the new bundle that is around the corner. Jarin and I have agreed that spending $1000+ on baby furniture is no longer of interest to us, so we went the second hand route. Meaning, I bought a cot off a Facebook buy & sell page. It's from Germany, it's basic, it's used, it was delivered for free to my door, and it was a decent price. But there was no mattress. Low and behold, I found a mattress for less than $10. Perfect. So the girls and I assembled it all last night...

Well, not so much... Off to IKEA I went to figure out a back up plan -- I now have a mattress that fits.

... I just so happened to also come home with a shower curtain to cover the random window in Alayna's shower (weird, right?!?!) and a huge piece of unfinished fabric to create an oversized runner for my kitchen table. Without a handy bone in my body, I wasn't sure how I would make either work, so I stopped at my local friend's alteration shop to get assistance. This sign was on the door... so I assumed that reads she is closed.

Without any Mandarin skills, I couldn't call her, so I just hauled my stuff back through the migrant village, with resident after resident staring at me.  I charaded to Wu, my driver "méiyǒu work", to which he figured out that she was still off for the Moon Festival holiday. Wu pointed to his hem on his jeans and said the few words he knows in English: "same, same. I know." And so I got back in the van and patiently waited as he drove me to an uncovered-by-expats-community.

We walked up the 2 flights of stairs (which he was very concerned that I'd be unable to do pregnant), stepped over a few kids eating noodles, rounded carts in the middle of the aisles, and ignored the jackhammering happening above us. Until we reached this woman...

She sat in the back corner of a shoe store that is no bigger than a standard walk-in closet, and worked between 5 various sewing machines. We threw our projects down on the shoes which were for sale, and then when she was ready, I did charades a bit more until she really understood how I wanted the runner framed, how much to cut off the shower curtain, how I was annoyed with the unfinished cuff on my maternity denim shorts, and my frustration with a new shirt that already tore on the seam.

Wu monitored her work, and I waited patiently as bits from the ceiling fell atop of me from the jackhammering.

 After about 25 minutes, she had all 4 projects finished, and when I asked "duōshǎo qián" she told me 30RMB. As in less than $6.00. I was floored! And look at how great the projects turned out.

 Then, for the last few days, Paisley (yes, my 3-year-old) has been asking for her toilet to be cleaned. Granted, there was a growing ring around the interior. But let's be real, I'm pregnant, I fired the ayi, and we just got home from vacation. So the reality of it getting done last week or even in the coming days was slim. So before going to bed last night, she says, "tomorrow you have two jobs mommy: find my purse and clean my toilet."

On it. So a new ayi started today.

I was skeptical as I've been with all four of the previous ones I've had. Some have spoke slight English, some none at all. Some have been good with babies, some not so much. None have been good at cleaning or ironing, and that's kinda the point.... so they haven't stuck around. 

But this one... amazing. She even cleaned the floor in my laundry room. Even changed the garbage without asking... all on day 1.

So, here I am today, living the Tai Tai life. All the good falling into place -- my driver rocks! I have an ayi who actually knows what she's doing, and above all else, I used the local services for a fraction of the cost and with great success! Days like this make it fun to live in Shang-high!!

No comments:

Post a Comment