Friday, April 1, 2011

Time with Granpa

I often write about family. It's a value that I hold close. It's why I'm the person I am. It's why Jarin is who he is. It's one reason Jarin and I clicked years ago. It's the basis of how we raise our children. It's why we are moving home...

A couple weeks ago, I packed up the kids and drove over two hours to see my grandfather, who's living in a care center, and cared for daily by my lovely aunt and her many co-workers. Granpa Don is my only living grandparent, and we don't get to see him often enough. And, that's enough to make a mom feel guilty -- my kids don't have the opportunity to endure that special relationship regularly.

It also makes me nervous when we do get to visit. I'm typically afraid that the kiddos won't be familiar enough with him to know how important hugs, kisses and that special bond is. But, my Thing 1 and Thing 2 blew me away!! When I mentioned the idea, they were excited! Right away, they drew pictures for him and I helped them add their photo and put a frame around each. Here's a shot of Granpa's reaction when they presented his gifts....
We spent two hours with him that afternoon, in his small room, and we reminisced about his life with my grandmother, how they met, when they got married, how they loved children.... and watermelon! He even shared the little watermelon he had in his fridge with Cade and Alayna. It was a fun day, to say the least.

I attempted to get a photo of all of us together, but Cade wasn't cooperating (as you can see he's not in the picture).... and frankly, Granpa wasn't either (he was too busy giving kisses -- which I'll take any day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment